Welcome To Matthew’s Friends Canada
Message From The Rt. Hon. Justin P.J. Trudeau, P.C., M.P.
Prime Minister of Canada
We are delighted to have received this letter of support from Justin Trudeauin support of Purple Day.
Matthew’s Friends Canada Global Winter 2016 Newsletter
Matthew’s Friends Canada (MFC)– continues at a steady and careful pace growing its connections with organizations, families and health care professionals across the country. Here is an overview of our activities:
On September 16-18, 2016 – Matthew’s Friends Canada were co-organizers with its first ever Family Retreat in Ontario. Keeping central to our goal – we were able to offer our epilepsy families an opportunity to get together, join in some outdoor fun, and learn more about ketogenic diet therapy. With nearly 90 attendees registered – we were proud to organize an entire day of this retreat to learning about ketogenic diet therapy from various speakers. Ketogenic registered dietitian (Jennifer Fabe) and epileptologist (Dr.Bercovici) provided overview of the therapy and describing how clinicians screen potential candidates for therapy. Implementing the ketogenic diet can be challenging and this was also highlighted by the engaging presentations of our social worker Carol Pereira and author Betty Franklin. But nothing was more compelling than hearing the testimonials of the ketogenic diet families including our very own founder Emma Williams. The intimate day-to-day journey of a child, adult and family resonated honest reflections of the amazing impact of the ketogenic diet but also its challenges.
Practical & delicious recipes were presented with culinary savviness by two amazing chefs: Chef Neil (guest chef from the U.K) and Chef Patrick (chef patron to Matthew’s Friends Canada). With children scurrying around and eager to join in the cooking demonstrations – both chefs prepared fantastic recipes.
Overall this day was an amazing success and was made possible with partnerships with Epilepsy of South Central Ontario as well as our vendors: Vitaflo, Nutricia and Shaklee. Thank you!
After this amazing event – Matthew’s Friends Canada debuted onto the global scene at the 5th Global Symposium on Ketogenic Dietary Therapies in Banff, AB. Experts from around the world gathered to learn from each other. MFC was ready to share some of the Canadian education tools, new Canadian ketogenic diet recipes created in part by Chef Patrick Wiese, foster & strengthen connections with the Canadian ketogenic diet professionals and work with the global teams on delivering new knowledge and products to the ketogenic diet families we serve.
Other excellent MFC highlights of 2016 include:
- Profiled on the TV Show ‘We Mean Business ‘ which can be viewed in this link: https://goo.gl/nc1dPT
- Invitation to speak at the Quebec Metabolic Dietitian Conference in Montreal, QC, as well as other epilepsy organizations and companies.
- Fundraising – we had a team run in the Scotiabank Bank Marathon and Chef Patron Patrick Wiese continues to host Intimate Dining Events – which have been a sold out success! Thank you again to all for your support!
- Canadian ketogenic diet education tools have now been translated into French and shall be uploaded onto the Matthew’s Friends website soon.
- Research study that will survey the Canadian ketogenic diet health professionals to help characterize the current practice in Canada. Stay tuned! Thank you to our University of Toronto graduate students (Alex and Samar) for supporting this project.
- Ketogenic Diet Family events in 2017
We are grateful for the support of our ketogenic diet community, epilepsy organizations, Matthew’s Friends Global, local businesses as well as Cambrooke Therapeutics, Vitaflo and Nutricia.
Many thanks for your unwavering support and we look forward to continuing to work with you again in 2017!
Remember to Visit us at:
Merry Christmas from the Matthew’s Friends Canada Team!